Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Dreaming Universe

Knitting. Ok, sometimes yes. STILL on Clapotis III -- the Black Clapotis. While listening to books on tape. Or watching NCIS. Or 'Men in Trees.' How cute is THAT show?

I know, I know, trash TV. (See note below.) And the news, I get a lot of knitting done during the news. Now THAT is trash TV.

Are we what we watch? Is watching....what we see....programming who we are? Well there is LOTS of research, both spiritual and in the land of physics that says it is so. Am I what I watch? Or knit? Hehhehhhehhe.

I seem to be spending quite a bit of what little free time I have contemplating just 'who am I?' And reading/listening to other people's philosophies and research about that question. I just finished reading 'The Dreaming Universe' by Fred Allen Wolf. WOW!!



It's not about 'dreams' really, it's about the 'dreaming state' of consciousness. And while the book sometimes speaks of the messages of dreams, Wolf really writes about different states of consciousness. This is, as of right now, the best (and hardest) book I have read this year. Mind you, Wolf is a physicist, writer, and lecturer who earned his PhD. in theoretical physics at UCLA in 1963. He's really done a brilliant job of blending physics, consciousness and Buddhist theory (believe it or not) into a book that is understandable for a non-physicist educated person. I understood about 90% of what he was trying to get across.

He's really a very funny and happy guy it seems. With a HUGE brain. 'Have Brains, Will Travel' is what he says. Hehehhhehhe. He appeared in 'What the Bleep Do We Know?" which if you have NOT seen, please, run...do not walk to your local library to check out. Or you can order it at the above link. There appears to be a 'quantum' edition which I have not seen yet. (Adding to library list now). He has written 10 other books too.

It's interesting to me that most of the 'books' I've been getting thru this year are on audio so I can listen to them in my car on my way to work. There was no way I could have 'listened' to "The Dreaming Universe" in the car or anywhere else. I kept having to go back and reread paragraphs to get my brain around what Wolf was saying....more times than I can count!! And there are still so many things that I don't understand of the physic parts of the book. But what a mind expanding book. The 'consciousness' part I get. And makes my head occasionally want to explode.

And while it answers a few questions, I feel like it just moved the 'door' further away...that door that I keep knocking on. Where I keep asking about how we think and why we think this way. We didn't always 'think' the way we think now. Did you know that? Our actual 'thinking' process has changed over the years.

And the process by which we think seems to change in a 'jump.' Not a gradual process. Much of our current 'thinking' is controlled/conditioned by TV. You are not only what you eat, but also what you put in your mind. And if it's 8 hours a day of TV, even in the background, guess what you are. We have 60,000 thoughts a day, of which, 45,000 are the same thoughts that we had yesterday. Want to change your life? Change your thoughts. Including what is going IN to your thoughts.

You'll see it when you believe it. There is no other way.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mystical.
It is the source of all true art and science.
- Albert Einstein

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

I'm in the midst of many changes in my life. Some good, some not so good.

I try to get through it by focusing on the task at hand. Triage, I suppose.

sigh

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.