Friday, August 05, 2005

The Yarn Harlot May Be A Spy

Caught up with Stephanie of Yarn Harlot fame yesterday in Seattle since I am STILL!! visiting Charlotte in Snohomish, WA. Stephanie is waaayyyy too funny. WOW!! Here she explains how her socks are multiplying. This has nothing to do with like the-makings-of-bunnies, if you know what I mean. It is due to some knitters thinking that HER sock may be lonely traveling on its own. So now, knitters are GIVING her socks......hehhhehhe.

The Yarn Harlot with Sock(s)


In person, her Yarn Harlot powers of observation are honed to a Nuclear Power of 10. She wily crafts witticism to share in Yarn Harlot person that had me laughing (and snorting.....glad none of my friends were there to hear THAT) way too loudly. She also explained how her tour is a big 'yarn crawl' with her publisher sending her to over 37 stops so far -- while the publisher is thinking it was to promote her book. HA!! Then she explained her stash from said tour. HA again!! Since you have probably read her book, let me tell you, she is so even funnier in person. Way too smart and WAY too funny.

And I think she only said, 'eh' twice. Hmmmm, maybe she's not really from Canada? That couldn't be true!! Could it? Maybe she is a spy!! From Iowa. A double spy. Working for the U.S.? Saying she is Canadian, REALLY being Canadian, and secretly working for Canada. And so as NOT to give away her secret Canadian spy truth, she only says, 'eh' every 1000th word or so. I kinda know about these things 'cause I had a Canadian Boyfriend for some time. Loved him. He also didn't say 'eh' much either. Now that I think about it, maybe he and Steph worked together as spies? I think I do remember him having a beer with her in a bar in Grand Cayman in 1992. Of course, it was a Canadian beer. Silly question. Anyway..... I'm thinking the Yarn Harlot may be a spy of some sort. Here she does look a little spy-like methinks.

Me & Stephanie


I had fun. Big fun. I was probably an embarrassment to myself. We had a conversation about nose-hair. Really. I explained that desert people lose their nose hair because the heat causes it to be absorbed into their nose skin then out thru their head. This was in reference to her lecture comment about being amazed that the desert people of Phoenix put stuff on their hair to make it 'bigger.' Really we desert people are just trying to control our nose hair.

She had described how some Canadians put stuff on their hair to make it smaller because of their summer humidity. Really, none of us are ever happy with our hair it seems, eh? She told me that Canadians also lose their nose hair because it freezes off. FREEZES OFF. In their winter-time.

I don't know which one of us has it worse.....Me with missing nose-hair now on top of my head or Stephanie with plain old fallen off frozen missing-nose hair. See. Those are the kinds of conversations you're missing in person with me. And remember, I worked with Barbara Striesand, Frank Sinatra and various other celebs. Just think of the conversations I had with them!!! (Stephanie, you're a WAY bigger celeb in my heart than they will EVER be.)

YH Aficionados Mobbing the YH


It was a WAY too fun of an afternoon. An since the weather here in Snohomish is under 100* (HA! they think their little current heat of 90* is a 'heatwave....they said that on the TV!) I'm probably growing back some of those nose-hairs that I lost when I left Vegas 3 weeks ago. It was 115* when I left. Bet I now have more nose hair. And that is the last time I will be saying 'nose-hair' in my blog. EVER. (Thanks Stephanie for the fun time!)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lucky dog!!! How fantastic that you got to meet her and have so such a great time!!! I am "STILL" laughing over here over the nose hair conversation...hilarious!!!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

LOL Nose hair?? humm what does that mean for Houstonians? We have the hot days (not as hot as your's thank the Powers Above and the God of Airconditioning) but we've even more humidity than ANYWHERE above WATER... and not nearly enough cold days to "freeze" them off. Come to think of it, that might explain some old guys I know...

(hugs and glad you're having fun!)

2:19 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

I had the pleasure of meeting Stephanie in Vancouver (but in a DOH moment didn't think to get my pic taken with her). Her "Bacon Powder" story cracked me up, as did the whole big yarn crawl thing. I think I snorted a few times (which surprised the friend I went with). About the "eh" thing - I'm Canadian and usually only say it around my American friends (and only because they seem to expect it)! Oh, and it never gets cold enough in Vancouver for nose hair to freeze off, but I can definitely see that happening anywhere east of us.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Just so you know, I'm still jealous. Very. Sounds like you had a great time. I'm glad one of us got to meet her!

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.