Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

"Kim Knows How To Rodeo," 1985


Let's just say I've saved a few horses. All for the good of the planet, don't you know. A past hobby (way before KNITTING) was taking pictures of 'cowboy butts' at rodeos. Sold a few photos, even won a prize in the first National Finals Rodeo Art Show the first or second year after it was moved to Las Vegas. But the real objective of taking photos of 'cowboy butts' was, well, all the fun stuff that goes with taking photos of 'cowboy butts.'

Leather chaps, cowboy butts. For some of you, you'll just not have any need to read further. Though your family may have to slap you back away from your current daydream, sometime during this post reading.

The above picture is a lousy photograph of a HUGE hand-drawn artwork piece hanging in my living room by Tad Cheyenne Schutt that she did of me in 1985. She did a whole series of rodeo personalities; I was not one them there 'personalities.' She just happened to have done a portrait of me, she had enough pictures! Tad and I were running buddies then. We had TOO MUCH FUN at the NFR, Reno and Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeos in the 1980's. She took photos of all things 'cowboy.' I took photos of 'cowboy butts.' She turned her photos into artwork. I just took photos and had fun.

In the above photo, I'm in the backseat enjoying a glass of champagne. Don't know if that is the label from that bottle. I think Tad told me it was. Tad is in the front seat with another good friend and running buddy, Kelly Riley, who is driving. We're all on our way to a big barbecue somewhere while at the Reno Rodeo. Let me tell you, I was up for three days for this event. Damn, I sure used to be able to hold up to the fun!!! My shirt was pink silk, which Tad did in pink glitter. The rest of the picture is drawn in pencil. She's a fabulous artist. The picture is about four feet wide and three feet tall. BIG picture.

My Mom always hated it. She said it made me look fat. I was in size 8 jeans then. Oh well. Butt sizes come and go. That was and still is my most favorite hat in the whole wide world. My Mom and Dad bought it for me for my 25th birthday. It's a Resistol 12X Beaver, with a 5 inch brim. I have danced about a million nights and a million backward miles doing a 2-step in THAT hat. I love my 'Black Felt.' Wrote a damn good story about it. Before computers. Wonder where I put that story? I was a dancing fool. Didn't really want to talk to the boys much, just wanted to dance with them. All the talk was (and I'm sure still is) about the same bullshit. Just shut up and dance, would you already?

I've always been a rocker a heart, but LOVE to dance to both country and rock. HATE techno. And, after doing DISCO for years (which I also LOVED and am thrilled it's coming back, hopefully withOUT a damn techno beat) give me a country bar filled with men in jeans and black felt hats any day. Guess I need to round up with Sherri and hit a few of the country bars to gear up for the coming NFR in December. Used to make a 'practice' of working up to THAT by staying up and partying before it got here. So I had the 'partying' down right, don't you know. Any excuse for 'cowboy butts.'

Here's some of the 'new' country by Big & Rich. Some country, lots of rock. Like the non-concert song better, but here's a video version anyway. Yea, I'm sure I'd be on the dance floor rockin' out or doing whatever line-dance is happening to this song. Y'all can put down line-dancing but I just want to dance. Just shut up and dance.


Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy by Big & Rich

And I will be bringing out my Black Felt. It's never seen my long hair. WOOT! Where is Dwight Yokum, Willie and Hank Jr? I'm pretty sure I'll be needing all of them. I just looked at the calendar. The NFR is in three weeks. I am soooooo out of practice. Where are my jeans?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:
WOW--What a Ride!"

4 Comments:

Blogger Head Honcho said...

I'm with you- Been a cowboy all my life and like "Baby Doll" says--

I Understand
Su Amigo
Dean

2:52 PM  
Blogger RVVagabond said...

What a fabulous picture of you! I almost had to grin back at you in response.

Linda

5:25 PM  
Blogger Patricia said...

Cool post, great photo of you.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

YEEE HAWW

You're right, ain't nuthin' quite like a good cowboy butt, encased, just barely in a good pair of Levi's, tapering down to the heels of a pair of perfectly worn boots.

I think the Texas Two Step is the perfect dance. Something about the rhythm and interplay between two people who do it can be so sensual.......or completely chaste.

Ahhh fond memories.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.