Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Ike's Got A New Knee

Ike knee surgery last evening has provided a new knee in place of the somewhat hurtful old joint. Alas, I fear he has a difficult recovery in front of him. He was expecting a partial replacement and had to have a full replacement. Also, Mr. Ike, in his ever positive and naive way, fully assumed he would be walking without aid come this Saturday. That he will now be on a walker for at least four weeks, well, he will find difficult. He was never compliant concerning his previous bypass therapy and I don't expect him to engage fully now. I also worry about his poor previous balance now amplified with drugs for pain will complicate his ability to maneuver without harm.

None of his four kids came out for the surgery. If my Dad was having surgery, especially after a previous bypass, I'd have my butt planted in a seat at the hospital. While none of them live in-state, that doesn't excuse them in my book. Ike told them he didn't need any help so none of them showed up. Glad there were no serious complications.

The other items that worry me too are that the knee surgery was on the same leg that provided the vein for his bypass surgery. The knee surgeon said there would be major swelling. Ice and elevation, along with exercise, are the major weapons to fight that swelling. Sadly, if he has complications, especially since he is diabetic, it might cause the lost of that foot or lower leg. I'm hoping not. He'll have therapy for a week and I'm hoping it will include more than just getting his knee back to working correctly.

So, I'm anticipating spending some time to help Mr. Ike out over the next few weeks with his recovery. I love him very much and am quite worried about how this will work out for him. He's a very social guy and being cooped up with a walker will really cramp his church-going and card-playing fun for a while. Plus, he'll have to listen to me trying to change his eating and exercising habits. For that, you all should pity the poor man. And say prayers for him too. Both that he can put up with my eating and exercise suggestions and that he heals up well and fast.

And then say a prayer for me that I don't rip his kids ("MY age, his kids are," I say in Yoda fashion.) a new head and heart. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep my mouth shut on what I think about them and that they will get a clue and realize that their Father needs help. I can handle the daily help for a few weeks but I think one of them should be flying in for the weekends to give him a hand. One of his daughters is a nurse; don't you think she would have had a clue?

I DID get to knit on Charlotte's Clapotis yesterday at the hospital waiting for him to go into surgery. We got there at 7:30 am and Ike went into surgery at 6:30 pm. They finally put him on an IV to start getting some fluids in him at 4:00 pm. Nothing like going 16 hours without fluids or medication! He came out at 9:30 pm and was in a room by 10:30 pm. What a super trooper he is!

Simply Recipe's "Low Carb Cranberry Cooler"

"No one really listens to anyone else,
and if you try it for a while you'll see why."
--Mignon McLaughlin

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Girl, you better never complain to me about having no family ever again! You have a father. Or Ike has a daughter, take your choice.

And bless you for being the caring person you are.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. I went in with my grandmother to her last doctor's appointment - she has high BP, among other things, and recently had an endarterectomy where they opened up an artery in her neck because it was 90% blocked. When they told her it was 50% blocked, did she do anything? No. 70%? No. Her idea of dinner is potato chips and cookies even though she has a whole roomful of food that she could cook.

Anyway, her BP isn't where the doctor wants it so guess what? He prescribes another pill! She could cut back on the salt and fat, but would rather pop yet another pill. She mentioned something to him about taking me on as a patient and I came right out and said I don't believe in all this unneeded medication and that I had recently weaned myself off of my 4 prescriptions. He didn't have much to say to me after that.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this comment, but it's something I'm fired up about.

12:39 PM  
Blogger RVVagabond said...

Having just gone through the "not taking care of yourself" thing with my mom, I can greatly sympathize with your concerns about Ike. He's a lucky person to have such a caring friend (I'm sorry, but I'm not sure of the relationship here).

5:34 AM  
Blogger Head Honcho said...

I pray for his easy recovery and your "doing what you can" without doing yourself big harm. He can only hear what he wants to digest-This is his life to live. Care and try to not be part of the problem. Su Amigo-Dean

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.