Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Sonora Desert

Updated: I've only added a few notes to the following link. Mostly concerning the locations. Enjoy.

From last Tuesday:

Blogger, BlogThis! and Picasa are still are a HUGE pain the butt. I'm just about done with Blogger and Picasa I think. I think I'll be going to Typepad.

I just spent an hour loading pictures and writing. Now of which only the pictures are left.

I'll update tomorrow. Too busy now. Can you guess where these shots were taken?

Three different venues. One even has a clue.

I spent last weekend at the Southwest Conference on Botanical Medicine.

Friday was spent on a outside retreat at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum. It's about an hour's drive from Phoenix and one should plan on spending at least four hours if not all day. Bring food and knitting!!

The weather was perfect and many, many flowering plants were a delight for the eyes!



Phylis Hogan and Cascade Anderson-Geller were the 'lecturers;' both wise, well known and well respected in the fields of medicinal medicine.

Ocotillo & Cascade Anderson-Geller.


Helen, my friend from Colorado, attends this conference most every year.

Jonas & Helen enjoy lunch amid the trees.


Good walk-about.


Lots of birds at this lake.



You know spring is here when the cactus are blooming.

Spent the next two days in lectures. Always a lot of information from pharmaceutical medicine to living green medicine.
Lots of exploding brain cells here.
Monday, in my search for Hyptis to bring home, I had to go to one of my favorite 'other' spots, The Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix.
I spent the morning wandering with a cup of coffee.










The amount of wild life at the DBG, in the middle of Phoenix, is nothing short of amazing. It is a very much a 'listening' experience with all the birds in attendance. And a very very fast running things.







Yerba Manza (for Linda)

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tuscon is my all time favorite though. Now THAT is a living museum. On my list of things to do in my life is to spend time as a docent there. If you have not visited ASDM, make a plan to do in April/May when things are really blooming. Or for the Saguaro Blossom Gathering. WOOT!!
And remember, all of these museums are open at NIGHT in the summertime! Jazz and cocktails!!
Chow's "Lemon Verbena Drink" Recipe
"The whole secret of life is to be interested in one thing profoundly and in a thousand things well."
--Horace Walpole

3 Comments:

Blogger RVVagabond said...

Blogger has been a pain since it went to beta and Hello stopped working with it.

Great pictures--Denny and I have never visited the Botanical Gardens, shame on us. It looks like you picked a great time to visit with all the blooming vegetation. And hosta in the desert? Thanks for sharing.

8:25 AM  
Blogger RVVagabond said...

Denny and I stumbled upon the Boyce Thompson Arboretum while sightseeing along Hwy.60 a couple years ago. We did spend hours there and picnicked under the shade trees. We were amazed at the hundreds of varieties of cactus, sat quietly and watched while the hummingbirds danced and then we wandered the trails enjoying a beautiful Arizona winter day.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Lovely pictures! Thank you for the virtual visit...

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.