Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thanksgiving In The Sangre de Cristo Mountains

I'm finally home safe. And with internet access. I had the best Thanksgiving. There was laughter, snow, lots of food, laughter and warmth.

Helen and Jim's Ranch is at the base of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. I always love spending time there. Even if their internet speed is 24 kbs. ::Phhhttttpt and damn that's slow! ::

I lucked out with no snow for the drive up. And we had no snow on Thanksgiving day. TDay was filled with chores, cooking and some exercising. Of course, your definition of exercising and ours may differ. Here are a few examples of ours.......

The Before Dinner Exercises


Morning Nap Exercises


The 'Phone Never Stops Ringing Around Here' Exercise


Afternoon Nap Exercise


Of course, the exercise to the barn is more strenuous. The Ranch is above 8,000 ft making the hike to the barn a heart-warming experience for me. And when you throw in some snow and some heavy clothing, my low altitude heart thinks I'm at the gym. Fortunately, I acclimate pretty quickly and by the third day I almost feel like I'm at home.

When I woke up Friday morning there was over six inches of snow on the ground. And it was still snowing! The silence is incredible. I never have silence in Vegas anymore. My house is now one-half mile from a six-lane freeway. (I NEVER thought THAT would happen.) I hear the freeway traffic start running down the road by 5:00 a.m. I sooooooo miss the silence of the desert. The 'blue' of the high desert before sunrise is pure magic.

Friday Morning Snow


Chores at 5*


I Am Goat


I Am Just Hungry


Golden Oaks On The Creek


Jim & Helen


Jim & Me


After helping with the chores of feeding goats, horses, and cats, I wandered around enjoying the snow and taking pictures.

Foot Bridge In Snow


The Ranch House


Fence & Rabbit Bush


Dog In Snow


The Chores of Waiting


Sangre de Cristo Mountains In Clouds


Alien Pods Vacation Here Too


Blue Jay On Wing


Jim and Helen also help take care of a neighbor's ranch. Their donkey and horses are too funny. They run to meet you and then follow you all over the place.

"I Wait"


Up The Valley


"Hay, Where is the Hay?"


The following days were filled with more chores, more food, and too much fun. It didn't snow again but the snow that was on the ground didn't melt too fast either. It didn't get above freezing throughout the weekend. Amazingly, I was very rarely cold.

Cold & Bright


Luna. Poor Luna. No fat and no fur. I did keep her coat on her most all of the time except for her short excursions out of doors. She was never outside for more that 10 minutes I don't think. I just couldn't keep her coat dry when playing with the other dogs. So, she had lots of small running bouts with Junior, her favorite dog, in the snow. I'll load up a video of them playing tomorrow.

The Running, Always with the Running




And finally, I did make it to La Lana Wools in Taos, N.M. I'll share all of the luscious details within the next few days.

Simply Recipes' "Split Pea Soup"

Grace isn't a little prayer you chant before receiving a meal. It's a way to live.
~Jackie Windspear

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.