Saturday, May 02, 2009

Vesak



I visited India in 2001. I LOVED India and would go back in a minute. I took the above picture of Buddha lying down in one of the many temple caves in Ajanta, near Aurangabad, India. This Buddha is probably 20 feet long. Incredible. And he has the most beautiful feet. Ajanta was magical. It features huge temples carved right into the mountainside. I loved all of India. But these sacred temples were one of my most favorite spots while traveling there. I only wish I had had a better camera. LOVED India. I also spent time in the caves at Ellora.

Significance of Vesak - Buddha Day
The significance of Vesak lies with the Buddha and his universal peace message to mankind.

As we recall the Buddha and his Enlightenment, we are immediately reminded of the unique and most profound knowledge and insight which arose in him on the night of his Enlightenment. This coincided with three important events which took place, corresponding to the three watches or periods of the night. Click to read more.

Happy Buddha Day!


The mind is everything. What you think you become.
--Buddha

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.