Friday, September 21, 2007

One Thing Is Really Ten Things

Doesn't it seem like that? Yesterday, I noticed that my Picasa Slide Shows were not loading. Ok. I didn't have time to mess with it yesterday, so this morning I start the 'track down' on trying to discover what the issue is.

Is it just that post? Is it Blogger? Is it the coding? Is it Picasa? Is it Picasa Web Albums? What is NOT working so I can make it work again?

I can't fix something if I don't know what's wrong. And now, one computer and/or internet function involves at least 10 different interrelated functions. When it works well, computers and the 'net are a great combination. When they don't, I feel like I turn into a computer detective. Or a Knight on horse back, sword in hand, working the battle. Maybe a mighty Witch, wand at the ready.... battling an error dressed in chain-mail.

Often it seems to me that anything having to do with the computer and the internet is now NOT just an issue of actually getting 'work' done. In blogging, most people think you can just sit down, write a post, upload (publish) it and you're done.

The work on the back-end that is never seen (unless of course, stuff looks like crap or appears wrong/broken) is usually MORE work than the actual post itself. Writing, and the editing of said writing, is often pretty fast. Design, layout, music, coding, picture uploading and placement...even the spacing between sentences, paragraphs, and pictures, now often takes more time than the writing of the actual post.

As irritating as it all can be, I hope I never give it up. I have learned so much by blogging. A few months ago I even celebrated my fourth blogoversary!

While I have always loved all things computer and internet related, the blogging world has opened up avenues of education, business, fun and a whole lot of time lost. One could lose a life at the screen inside! Fortunately, laptops travel to the outside and wireless technology lets us connect under the sunshine or shade if that is where we want to do our work.

More fortunately, there are still places in the wild were there is no wireless hook-up. Where doing one thing, remains, doing just one thing. Sunrises. A turning leaf. Tides. Herding goats.

But there also, one thing is really ten things too. Leaves are roots. Sunrises are a movement of a planet. Tides are created by the moon. Big universe stuff right there y'all.

And yet, I am still responsible for the back-end in a few of its working features as a 'program' too. What I do there......really here I mean, affects place -- the earth. And time -- today and tomorrow.

As humans, we never get away from working the 'back of the house' as it were. One thing is always at least ten. Essentially, the 'butterfly effect.'

Ahhh, chaos theory. Now THAT explains back-of-the-house.

And if you remember where we started this post, the answer to the original question is Picasa Web Albums. Or '42' for those of us in the know. Whatever works for YOUR universe today.

"That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above, corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracles of the One Thing."
--Hermeticism

1 Comments:

Blogger RVVagabond said...

Okay, I followed that. Scary. ;-)

4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.