Monday, September 10, 2007

The Chilies Are Here!

Have I mentioned how much I love Green Chili? On everything and anything? It is simply heaven.



Chili season is upon us! And since the chilies were ready last weekend, I picked up a bushel box. I then set up my Super Chili Roasting Station.

In the shade for proper Red-Headed Human skin protection.


The Supervising Roaster was ready.


Chilies were placed on the hot grill. Then charred all the way around.


After becoming seriously roasted (you try for at least 60% of the skin blackened), the chilies are taken from the grill and placed in a pot with a damp kitchen towel, covered and steamed.

The whole grill full of chilies reduces to less than a pot full.


More chilies were roasted and steamed. Hours sped by in chili smoke. Each turn of the grill produced a pot of steamed chilies.

Pots of green gold.


VERY IMPORTANT: WEAR GLOVES.

The roasted and steamed Red-Head and chilies finally went inside to the cool of the kitchen. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was cued up on the iPod.

Chili stems were pulled off.


While I did pull off the chili stems (or cut them off of the super grilled chilies) I did not skin the chilies or remove the seeds.



I'm not sure if that is correct or not -- NOT removing the seeds or not. But I was so DONE with roasting these chilies, I just didn't have any more energy to mess around with the seeds.

Now, leaving the blackened skin on is correct IF you're going to freeze them. Which was my plan. So I bagged the chilies, four or five to a quart sized freezer bag and squeezed the air out.

And now I have my own supply of roasted green chili for the winter.


When I decide next to make some green chili, I'll defrost the chilies, peel off the skins and remove the seeds. The skins come off MUCH easier AFTER they have been frozen.

Then I'll throw the roasted chilies into a crock-pot with a pork loin and some onions. Yum.

I also worked with the green chilies that had started to ripen too much and turned red.


I strung them up into a properly tied risita!


Not very well done in the 'pretty' department, but functional. They'll dry (we're still in the 100's here) and then down the road I'll grind them up for red chili powder. For Red Chili. Which I've never done or made. A new adventure for another day.

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
–Douglas Adams

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger RVVagabond said...

Back in the day when we had a "stick built" house Denny and I made our own goetta, horseradish, applesauce, etc. It was labor-intensive but oh-so-good! No chemicals or preservatives, just great foods and fixings.

Your pork tenderloin sounds wonderful even at 7AM.

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.