Thursday, October 20, 2005

Flower Basket Shawl & Cool Cell Phone Tricks

Let's just get the knitting issues out of the way right now folks. I finished Repeat #14 on the FBS last night. Yep. I'm going to start on the edging. Since this is a 'summer' shawl, it doesn't need to go down to my butt. I would like to finish this this week and block it! Woot. Then start on some holiday knitting. I did take pictures of the so far unseen Birthday scarf. So, it will make an appearance after November 1.

On to very cool news you can use....I recently changed cell plans to Verizon and got a brand-new, kick-ass cell phone for doing so. For FREE!! FREE! It's a Motorola E815. My calling plan remains the same price, but now I can call anybody on Verizon FREE at anytime. Love that!! Best Friend phone calls...FREE....anytime!! Love that!!
I've also moved out of the dark ages since before I had a 'text' only phone. Now I have a phone that, I'm pretty sure, if I knew how to 'hack' it correctly, it could take me to the moon because it is just such a fancy pants. Since I don't know a lot about 'hacking' my phone YET, I've been learning just the plain regular NEW everyday stuff you can do with it.

ONE of the two of the coolest uses I have found are Google SMS (Short Message Service). This would have come in SO handy when I was looking for the power company last week which I knew was on Sahara Road, and yet didn't have it's address. If I had known how to use Google SMS, I could have just put in my zip code, typed Nevada Power, and it would have sent me back a message with the phone number and address. As it was, I spent $1.40 calling information to get the damn phone number, which was relaid wrong anyway!! 3 times!! (Looking for a credit on that, no worries.)

So, if you have a cell phone that can send and receive text messages, this could save your life. So, really, what is Google SMS?

What is Google SMS?

Google SMS (Short Message Service) enables you to send queries as text messages over your mobile phone or device and easily get precise answers to your questions. No links. No web pages. Just text — and the information you're looking for:

How do you use it?

  • Enter your query as a text message.
  • Send the message to the US shortcode 46645 (GOOGL on most phones).
  • Receive a text message (or messages) with your results, usually within a minute. Results may be labeled as "1/3", "2/3", etc.
  • To get Google SMS help info sent directly to your phone, send the word 'help' as a text message to 46645.
  • Try the online demo

I fussed with the online demo quite a bit. I learned if I put my zip code in first, it would give me any info in relation to that. Which is why just putting in Nevada Power doesn't' give me any info, but putting in my zip, then Nevada Power sends back the address and phone number.

I then fussed with actual queries on my phone. It WORKED. Added the Google 'shortcode' to my contacts to use on the fly. This is a very cool use for a phone. Don't forget to download the wallet-sized tip sheet until you get it memorized.

The number TWO 'hack' is using your cell phone as a flash light. Lifehacker suggests "Set your cellphone wallpaper to plain white. Then you can use your cell screen as a makeshift flashlight in emergency conditions like finding your keys in a theater." If you have a camera phone with a flash, knowing how to turn on the flash and keep it on, would also work. Lifehacker has some of the most useful tips on how to make your life move along a little easier, make sure to visit it soon.

My hands are now like ice. And will be that way until we hit next summer. Sigh. My feet too. Anything below 80* is freezing to me. I have Desert Blood. Guess I'll have to learn how to knit some fingerless gloves for use at the computer. Any suggestions for someone who needs an easy first-time pattern?

Mummy Cat

Wonder if I could do this to Luna? She loves to wear sweaters and jackets. Hmmmmm.

Every life has a measure of sorrow. Sometimes it is this that awakens us.
--Buddha's Little Instruction Book, Jack Kornfield

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

What about these? http://www.knitpicks.com/books/books_display.aspx?itemid=50399

11:06 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

HEY!!

I use Verizon too!!!

They were about the only ones still up and running after the hurricane.

btw: Crazy Aunt Purl always makes me laugh. She's another person I'd like to meet someday.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hey! I have a new fancy schmancy phone but all I ever do is make plain ol' phone calls. A lovely waste of technology. Wear a hat and it may keep your hands and feet warm (er). Serially.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.