Monday, October 17, 2005

"Meet the Life Hackers" from the New York Times

I have been working on making Mondays some kind of organization day. Some of the sites that I really like for ideas, tips and methods of trying to get things organized and done are:

43 Folders -- excellent ideas on organizing
Flylady -- daily reminders of things to do complete with 'control journal'
Getting Things Done -- book and concepts
LifeHackers -- great tips
Bloglines -- the ONLY way to be able to read all the news and knitting blogs in less than 30 minutes
Google Toolbar -- with SPELL CHECKER that works in EVERY program on your computer. And WAY better than Blogger's Spell Checker.

On a somewhat similar note of how we get work and other things in life done, today's edition of the NYT has an very interesting article on how we basically have maybe 11 minutes to get any one thing done. It is a informative article on how we work, and how computers and email have changed the way with work. And maybe not for the better. It's a worthwhile read. And while not mentioned, it may explain why so many of our children are having problems in school and home when it comes to learning.

We are now almost programmed to think in between interruptions. Whether by commercial break, phone or email. Grab a cup of coffee and give a read. It's worth the time. And if this link doesn't work (as sometimes the NYT articles are only up for a day) there's a permanent post on my Soul Knitting Links page.

Here is the NYT's link: Meet the Life Hackers - New York Times
"Each employee spent only 11 minutes on any given project before being interrupted and whisked off to do something else. What's more, each 11-minute project was itself fragmented into even shorter three-minute tasks, like answering e-mail messages, reading a Web page or working on a spreadsheet. And each time a worker was distracted from a task, it would take, on average, 25 minutes to return to that task. To perform an office job today, it seems, your attention must skip like a stone across water all day long, touching down only periodically. "
Currently, I'm working on getting rid of clutter in the house and keeping up with my financial paperwork clutter. And, I am STILL knitting on a birthday present, so can't show or talk about any of that. Let me only say that, damn, I should have taken said knitting to the boat this weekend. The 'weatherman' forecast rain and 40 mph winds last Friday, so I didn't go out. Love being on the boat with the rain, HATE winds over 20 mph at the lake. So, I stayed home to work on stuff. WRONG thing to do. What a beautiful weekend.

Should have gone. I've noticed our 'weathermen' have been getting the weather wrong for some time now. I think our weather patterns have changed so much from the 'norm' that they can't use the past models and don't have any new models. I know after living in the same place for forty plus years that our current desert weather is not as before in cycle. We're going to weather hell in a hand basket. Just give it another ten years. Anyway, a rant for another day.

Wouldn't it just be great to delegate stuff to somebody else? It would be so nice to have a financial secretary that is also a house-keeper and fab cook. Preferably looks like a cross between Mark Harmon and Tommy Lee. Thinks like a mixture of what a cross between my smart and favorite men in my life would be. Loves to vacuum and work in the yard. Actually reads books. Knows how NOT to talk sometimes. Thinks camping is fun and has all the latest and greatest camping gear. I can only imagine what lofty goals Luna and I might attain.

Simply Recipes: Fried Green Tomatoes. Yummy!!

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know.
--Harry S. Truman

2 Comments:

Blogger RVVagabond said...

I like this recipe site as she has some great "copycat" recipes. My husband loves the Hooter's chicken wings. http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I found your blog on Technorati and I see we read some of the same blogs, though I have mine on google's reader. Anyway, I'm enjoying your posts!

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.