Thursday, October 06, 2005

Yarns From The Taos Wool Festival

Sangre de Cristo Mountains


The rain storms that float across the Sangre de Cristo Mountains are awe-inspiring to watch. I try to spend some time daily viewing whole storm systems that pass over and along the rugged tops. It seems to be a natural human process to try to bring down the colors of the skye and to give a hand to match the mountain colors in our arts and everyday life. I gather the magic of the Eath and Sky in herbs I bring home of 'winter' medicine for the coming season; pictures of Hawks surveying their fields; bags of dried Alphapa for tea. And it seems I try to bring home the storm colors in my yarns.

I just can's say enough about the Brook Farms 'Primero' yarn I picked up at the Taos Wool Festival. I don't think I've have ever felt something so soft.

Brook Farm Primero


And I love the blend of colors which is unusual for me; I'm pretty much a 'solid' colors person. Don't care much for stripes, but I just love these colors. Fall's golden fields turn up in this colorway I think. You can see the golden Oak leaves, the drying alfalfa, and the Aspen's bark.

Colorway K29


Below is the color of the skies above the Sangre de Cristo Mountains where it touches the crowns of the changing Aspen leaves. Then flows to Autumn washed vistas of tan and browns.

Colorway K12


Knitter's Review has a write up in it's current issue about the Taos Wool Festival and many of the booths and yarns there. I didn't pick up a 'newspaper' of the event and could just kick myself for not even seeing one! And they don't have a list online yet? Humrmphh.

While NOT at the Festival but just a 3-minute walk away, La Lana Wools is one of those yarn shops that you have to take a deep breath before you walk into for fear of losing your soul or your house due to the damages on your credit card. It's full top to bottom of some of the most incredible yarns ever to grace a shop. I'll post about it tomorrow. Must go play now.

Luna With Stick

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your website. Anyone who can combine knitting with wonderful scenery and make me want to read on gets a big thumbs up. When I read a blog I can't help but wonder who's the writer. I would guess that your female because your language is very feminine. I would guess your age to be 40-50, because how many really young people know how to knit? You may even be retired because your writings and hobbies suggest that you have time and resources. So, how did I do?

5:27 PM  
Blogger Bonita said...

I'm really struck by the beauty of your yarn. Great photo. I used to knit long ago, and have since gotten arthritis, so cannot do it anymore...lucky you.

6:16 PM  
Blogger RVVagabond said...

Last September we were staying at a campground in Gunnison and took a day trip down SR149 which eventually led us past the headwaters of the Rio Grande and the Sangre de Cristos mountains where we watched snow fall from the distance. It was a fascinating view and whole area was a new experience for us; sod-roofed buildings and all.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Looks like you and Luna both found treasures and had a wonderful time!

I love the gold/browns of the yarn! And anything with blue, gold and rose in it is a winner.

We've had our first Cool day! It's not 90 degrees at 9 am!!

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.