Monday, July 11, 2005

Black Clapotis

What do you do when knitting the FBS is too brain-draining for a new lace knitter? You start a new Clapotis!!! Estelle 'Royal Cotton DK' 100% cotton, 114 yards per skein. Size 7 needle (one larger than yarn recommended).

Black Clapotis


Bought 10 balls off EBay for $19.99 including shipping. I really like the way this yarn feels and it doesn't split at all!

BC Closeup


How nice is it to be at a point of feeling very comfortable with the Clapotis pattern after really having a hard time with learning the first time around. The first one was such a great learning experience since it was only the fourth item I had ever knitted. I'm kind of at the same spot now with the FBS -- that learning curve that occasionally requires the ripping of one's hair out. Like later this evening when I get to frog back to the lifeline. I love lifelines.....

BC Up REAL Close


I can almost do the Clapotis pattern in my sleep now. Plus I have the Excel Spreadsheet that I made up that already has the stitch count per row ready to go!! This cotton one will be very niccccccceeeeee for our 116* days when we are then forced into air-conditioned 65* stores and offices. Leave your email address if you would like me to send you the Clapotis Stitch Count Excel file or go to the Clapotis Yahoo Group to download it.

On another note from previous comments, Jenn C. graciously shed her light on a recurring issue throughout mankind's history by stating that, "there have always been people willing to kill in the name of their god... in almost every religion.The Judeo-Christian bible advocates stoning as punishment for adultery, and tells us to put to death those who would work on the Sabbath or wear cloth of mixed fibers. And yet, most of us manage to not actually want to kill anyone for those offenses.There are wingnuts in every religion, some worse than others. I don't think that hatred will help root them out."

I agree with her that wingnuts abound in all religious and non-religious walks of life and I believe that hatred only destroys the soul of the person from who it emanates. I'll add that dialogue concerning different viewpoints is vital to understanding one another while the killing of innocent people will never get one closer to enlightenment. Questions and answers provide a pathway to learning about the values of others while actions speak even louder than one's words.

Christians and other 'groups' still bomb one another while at the same time sending their youth and money to help in the fight of hunger and disease thoughtout the world. I am not christian and yet see their work everywhere -- both bad and good. I am still curious to see the good people of Islam as they stand and speak out against the terrorists. Britain has welcomed Muslims with open arms into their country and afforded them safe harbor from the tyranny in their own home nations. From the news reports on BBC, Britain is now tightening their immigration laws with regard to all Muslims. It would behoove Muslims to stand and be counted in the fight against terrorism now least they start to find themselves with no place to go.

As the bodies of the dead are still being extracted from the train bombings, why doesn't a Islamic leader show the good way? Where are the demonstrations for good? Do they only celebrate the burning and beheadings of other humans? Or is that the only visual that the media will pick up? The women seem to be not allowed to speak up and it seems the good men won't. Is this a religion to make the world a better place? To make the heart of a human glad with all things spiritual? I am curious. And I will always poke and question........

Lastly, about Hurricane Dennis......Becky at Knitting Interrupted was right in the path of Dennis. She and her family evacuated and have not, as yet, returned home. Esther at Nite Time Knitter has stayed in contact with Becky and made updates in her blog. Becky is now driving back to Milton, FL to return home to, hopefully, a still standing house and survey the damage. Milton, FL is directly north of Pensacola. Give a shout out to Becky to help her thru this spirit-sagging event.

Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong. All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped them up and tried to enforce them.
The truly civilized man is always skeptical and tolerant,
in this field as in all others.
His culture is based on "I am not too sure."
-H.L.Mencken

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

oh, it's been so long since I knitted, I think I'm going to have to start on a scarf...or go pick up the crochet hooks.. I did that more recently.

Grandmother was teaching me as I was nursing my uncle and then her thru cancer. When she died, I put down the hook.....and haven't picked it up again.

It's time.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic. The dialogue on religion was fabulous - and I completely agree with you. The quote you ended the post with is spot on and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The black clapotis looks great. I'm beat. I'm going to bed now but just wanted to wave hello and tell you I have electricity finally!

ttys,
b

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear I'm not beating a dead horse, but I thought you migth be interested in this:

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jul2005/20050728_2265.html
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4775588

American muslim leaders and scholars today issued a religious ruling against terrorism and violence.

I'm not offering this as any kind of an "I told you so", but because I thought you might be interested, and might miss the story while you were travelling.

And of course, much remains to be seen as to how much of a difference it will make, and so on, but I tend to be eternally optimistic when it comes to expecting the best from people.

Hope your vacation is continuing well and you're having a wonderful time.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.