Friday, July 01, 2005

Meet Annie from COTFU

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Annie from Center of the Fiber Universe. She found me though my blog. We met up at Gail Knits to peruse the pre-sale Summer Sale yarn. Annie is major fun and very smart. She had conversations with Gail about knitting I don't even understand. Entrelock and picking up stitches and such. She sat there and knitted on a sock and talked at the SAME time. HA!! She is obviously NOT brain-dead at all! My brain would NOT be able to talk and knit a sock at the same time. Remember previous posts about FBS and watching TV?

Annie and I Posted by Picasa


Annie just moved to Las Vegas from Kentucky. Kentucky sounds like a very pretty green place that doesn't have temps that ever get to BIZILLION degrees. Here she wears a beautiful FBS that a friend made for her. Of course, I had to wear my Clapotis! She and her husband have the EXACT same boat I used to sail. Now, HOW fun is that? Somebody you can talk to about knitting AND sailing -- TWO of my Top 10 most favorite things!

Here is some more work on FBS. See the little GREEN markers? They are soda straw rings with a slit in them. Can I tell y'all how much EASIER this has made knitting FBS? Thanks Wendy! I place them at the beginning of each repeat. Since I can 'pull' them on and off, when I get to the next pattern row I can move them if needed. I can now see with BRILLIANT clarity WHERE I am in a pattern row!!! I can tell how many stitches I have done in a pattern repeat!!! I didn't have to tink back ONCE last night! Joy. Joy. Joy!!!!!!



On another front, see those bangs in the photo with Annie? I'm getting my hair cut on Tuesday and can't wait! I've been trying to figure out if I should cut those bangs shorter or continue to let them grow. The only thing I can do with my hair anymore is put it up in two pony-tails. It is so long! Since I can't get it up in a French Roll I'm also thinking about cutting at least an inch off. But I haven't figured out if I shorten the 'bangs' to bang length or keep letting them grow. What do you think?

Lastly, it will be 110* in Vegas and 116* at the lake today. The smoke from the fire that is about 1 hour away sits in the Vegas valley making the surrounding mountains invisible. Las Vegas will have over 300,000 visitors packed in this week-end. Those of us that live here rarely go to the 'Strip' and NEVER do on holidays. Toooooooo many cars and people. And with the heat....Ugh.

I actually HATE the 4th of July because of the fireworks. I wouldn't be so bad if the neighborhood kids wouldn't shoot illegal bottle rockets. But I have IDIOTS that live in my neighborhood and I always find spent bottle rockets in the backyard. Every year I call the police. Citywide, there are always at least three homes burned to the ground every year. Six of the major hotels and four of the city parks have FREE HUGE firework shows. I think we should outlaw the sale and use of all fireworks in the city and county. Small children won't be deprived of firework shows and while it won't keep all the big kids from setting off illegal fireworks, I think it would cut down on much of it. It is illegal to use fireworks on Federal property but even with the fires we have had burning outside of Vegas, we'll still have some idiots start brush fires this weekend. There is a ban for all camping fires including bbq grills at the lake for the summer. That won't stop idiots there either. Sigh.

I'm staying close to home for the weekend. I've already hit the library for books and videos. Whole Foods for some extra special groceries. I have FBS to knit and Clapotis to complete. And clutter to dislodge from the house! May wander by Gail Knits on Saturday, but mostly homebound by choice! What are your 4th of July plans? Stay Safe! Remember, you can 'click' on the below word 'comments' to leave a comment!

6 Comments:

Blogger HibiscuitsGirl said...

I absolutely, 100% agree with you about fireworks. I always dread this time of year--the firework garbage laying everywhere, the idiots blasting them at 11pm, the danger of stepping into your own backyard. Grrr.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

fireworks are LEGAL here in the hinterlands of "the county"

This whole weekend will smell like gunpowder. A 360 degree fireworks show that also irritates the heck out of BrainDog.....who LOVES everyone except people dim enough to shoot off fire crackers..

He ain't called Brain for no reason! Okay, he's really called Brain cause my hubby is into cartoons and got two dogs from Citizens for Animal Protection.. the other dog's name was .

Pinky

Poor Pinky... the backyard gate was left open.

Brain found some kids to play with. Pinky found the highway and caught a car. Neighbor girl found her and hubby and neighbor girl both cried for a week.

6:29 PM  
Blogger sara said...

FBS is looking good!

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOu look like you are having fun in that pic girl! THe clapotis looks wonderful! GRIN.

We are staying close to home this weekend too. I have a new book to read and lots of knitting i could do if I could stay away from this computer! (smirk) And come to think of it I have lots of clutter to disloge too! LOL! My yarn room is a disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time visiting your blog and I LOVE IT!!! I listen to COast to Coast AM also!! AND, I'm great friends with Becky and just finished the Clapotis scarf with her - great fun.

Your Clapotis looks great!!

I love your site - it's a daily read for me from now on!

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Thanks for making my friend Annie feel welcome in LV! I sure miss her in KY! In KY it isn't the heat, it is the HUMIDITY, which isn't pleasant. Humidity = Green.
BTW, I am the friend who made the FBS for Annie.
Like your blog.
Have fun with Annie!
Viki

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.