Monday, June 20, 2005

Clapotis Almost Done

I am always amazed at the amount of wildlife in my backyard. I just LOVE having coffee on my patio at sunrise with all the birds. This little hummer is just one of many different types of flying delights that entertain me before I'm really awake.

Always here


I had promised myself that no matter what! I would finish knitting my Clapotis this weekend. I was close. I finished at 12:30 AM. Good enough for my idea of time. Stayed up too late and listened to Art Bell on Coast To Coast last night while I stitched. Major Ed Dames was the guest and he's always interesting to listen to. I just love Art Bell. Knitting and Art Bell. Heaven.

Clapotis Almost Done


I still have to weave in the ends and block her. But I'm thrilled with how she came out. I'm even more excited about learning the new stitches that I had to do to work this pattern. I'm still a 'new' knitter so KTBL, KFB and SSK were new to me. NO MORE!! HA!! I feel like I could do this pattern in my sleep

I'm SURE there will be at least three more happening sometime this year. And one in cotton soon for SURE!! I really love this pattern and I'm very happy with how the Berroco Softwist worked out. It did have a tendency to split while knitting which was a pain in the butt. But I really love the final outcome.

I'm also planning on one in Lion Brand Wool-Ease in BLACK. I love everything in BLACK. Winter stuff. Not summer-in-Vegas stuff. 105* today. Of course in the AC everywhere, you have to take a wrap. Which is why I just love my Clapotis. It will go everywhere!!

Close Up


I'm going to have to do some research into how to actually BLOCK her because that will be a new experience for me too. I think I'll have to get some T-Pins I guess. I think you soak her right? I don't think you iron her, do you? I think my LYS could steam her but I'd still have to lay her out.

Hmmmm. What do you think I should do in all manners of blocking?

PBS is currently showing a featured program called, "Forces of the Wild." Episode three, "Heavenly Partners," explores how the Earth's most important neighbors, the sun and moon, influence our natural world. Everything from the passing of time, to the changing seasons and tides, to massive animal migrations, and the planting of crops is marked by their cadence.

I happened on this episode and thought it was one of the most beautiful pieces of film-making I have ever seen. I recorded it to watch it again, maybe in silence with a nice cd in the background. It is truly a great show that you should try to catch up too. PBS is broadcasting E3 a few more times before moving to E4.

The only thing I take to task about the show is that Samhain wasn't described as the celebration of the end of the year and New Year celebration that it is. PBS showed men running thru the streets with tarred barrels on fire. I'm thinking that didn't really show what Samhain celebrates.

Samhain is a last of three harvests and a putting away of the old year. In additional ways its also similar to Mexico's Day of the Dead where they honor their past relatives by taking food to their graves and having a party. It's like, "Mom, here's a Iced Coffee just like you like it and I sure miss our bookstore runs."

'Halloween' in America depicts this day as a day to scare off spirits but in the old world, it was the day of the 'veil' between the worlds being the thinnest. Hence you could 'honor' your pasted Elders because there was less 'static' to interfere if you wanted to thank them for your current good fare. Samhain celebrates the turning of and to another year and all the thinking and feeling that goes with it.

The rest of the show was PERFECT!! How do they get those pictures of Swans in flight? Amazing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Kim,

Thanks for your posting on my blog...It's always exciting to see that someone's visited!

and now...

this sends you to a funny, touching story.

http://www.missdoxie.com/archives/2005/06/all_i_can_say.html

10:25 PM  
Blogger Soulknitting said...

Hi Amanda,

I couldn't find your email or blog so I'm responding here.

I used Berroco Softwist in colorway #9455. It's really a RUBY red. And I think its much prettier in person. It has a wrapped thread that gives it some sheen. That may show up more in the photos after blocking. I have to block it, its too curly I think.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your clapotis came out fantastic!!
I used Lorna's Lace Lion and Lamb in the Vera color - soo soft felt like pure silk. Absolutely has to be worn in the winter though - very heavy, but I'm in the mindset to make another out of lace weight yarn - something reallllly light for the summer.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.