Saturday, February 11, 2006

Clapotis II & Deep Dark Chocolate

Luna & Clapotis II


Yes, there has been knitting going on. Ike went back into the hospital for a few days, so, I knit. He's fine thankfully, but what a long, hard week it's been. He was dehydrated and that made him pass out for over 5 seconds. We were sitting in the Knee Dr.s office when it happened. Sacred me silly. If he had been driving, he would have been in a accident. I took him to the ER immediately. The doc said he needed to be drinking at least a gallon of water a day. His blood pressure was 95/58 when I took him to the ER. So, lesson here: drink LOTS of water, all day long.

So again, with the no-blogging. But I'm back and I'm hoping my writing brain comes back to me. It seems to be preoccupied with Australia for some reason and therefore not so much here. And believe me, you won't have any interest in where my mind has been going. Fun for me, not so entertaining for you. It's that banging, banging, banging of the head on the desk thing.....again.

But, there has been knitting. I'm almost to the end of the 'straight section' on Clapotis II. Funny how on the first one I thought I would lose hair, and now......I can almost knit this in my sleep. I love learning new things so well that they become second nature. I'm very much that way on scuba gear. It's as easy for me to hang at 100 feet on a wall in Grand Cayman as it is to sit on my boat and have a cup of coffee. I don't feet the gear, I don't notice the sound my regulator makes, I don't notice my mask. I just am......one with the ocean. Eagle Rays swim by and flip a tip of a wing in greeting, Ghost Mountain looms like a tip of Everest before arrival, and all the yellow sponges are dark brown at that depth from the lack of certain light rays penetrating the deeps. Just like sitting here. But still often, I wish I was there. I miss swimming out into the deep blue away from the island. 10,000 feet of water below and blue, blue, more blue as far as you can see. Floating. Waiting for something big to come out of the deep. And more blue.

THAT was a fun tangent. But now on to something fun in THIS atmosphere. If you've got a thing for dark chocolate and are looking to make up something sweet for your Sweet, try this:

Deep Dark Chocolate Truffles

8 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup unsalted butter
Unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)

Place chocolates, whipping cream and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Heat, stirring occasionally. When melted, pour mixture into a small bowl to cool. Refrigerate for 2 hours or more, until mixture hardens.

Using a teaspoon or melon baller, quickly form mixture into equal size rounds, about 3/4 inch wide. Refrigerate until cold.

Just before serving, roll each truffle in cocoa powder until coated.

Variations:

  1. Confectioners' sugar can be substituted for cocoa powder.

  2. Coated Truffles: Instead of rolling finished truffles in cocoa powder, melt 8 oz. bittersweet or white chocolate, or if available mint baking chips (such as Guittard) in a double broiler over low heat. When chocolate is melted insert small fork or wooden skewer in cold truffle & quickly dip to fully coat. Place on wax paper.

  3. KahlĂșa Truffles: After melting chocolate, butter and cream together, add 3 Tbsp. KahlĂșa and continue with recipe as directed.
Notes & Helpful Hints:When shaping the truffles, it was a bit messy but it is easiest to roll them lightly in the palms to create a nice even, round ball. If making the Coated Truffles, I recommend putting the truffles in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before dipping in the melted chocolate or mint. Keep in the refrigerator up to two weeks or freeze for up to one month.

I wish I could find where I got this receipe to give credit!! If you find it, please let me know!!

Here's a picture of Luna in dog class the other night. She LOVES dog class. Gets to see all the other dogs. Gets to show off how good she knows her stuff. Looks at the little yappy dogs with impishness as they bark and bark at her while rolls her eyes and says, "Get a grip, would you?"

Luna in Dog Class


Then there are all the EXTREMELY well trained Police dogs. Luna is very good but these dogs are more than perfect. I'm thinking of putting Luna in an 'agility' class. She so loves slides and such, I think she would have a great time and be good doing it.

Well, I'm done with my coffee on the boat. I think it's time to sail. Seeeeeee ya.......

2 Comments:

Blogger RVVagabond said...

Did you ever figure out that calling card/Perth thing?

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stopped by to see what you've been up to! The new clapotis is looking good. So is Luna! (hugs Luna!)

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


SparksPeople Quote of the Day

copyright (c) 2003-2009, soulknitting.blogspot.com, unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
All images displayed on this site are the property of their respective owners.
If you are the owner of an image that is displayed on this site that is improperly or inadequately credited, please contact me to make the necessary correction.